Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Kids DO Stand A Chance

Something that's really important to know about me is that I endorse practically nothing.

In fact, if you've ever watched TV with me, you know that I'm not exactly what you would call any "easy sell". Actually, that's putting it nicely. A more honest statement is that I can pick apart and cruelly mock a product with the best of them. Worst of all, this isn't a habit I want to change, it's actually one that I take a sick sort of pride in. Have an advertisement for a cell phone that can play music, surf the internet faster, and give you a map if you get lost while running? Well unless you show someone actually making a call on it, good luck trying to sell it to me! Cynical? Probably. Flat-out refusal to buy into everything that's put in front of me? Absolutely.

For a long time, this was never a problem. Then I had kids. Then those kids became susceptible to advertisements and commercials, which inexplicably led to the desire to play video games and computer games. Naturally, I dug my heels in the ground for as long as possible, reasoning that there was nothing you could do on a computer that would be more educational than reading a book or just going outside and exploring. I reasoned that my kids get enough "screen time" just by watching Sesame Street alone and the longer I could hold off on the inevitable the better. After all, we have done so much as parents to mold their brains, why give up now?  This theory held up for awhile until I realized that weekly computer lab days were part of school curriculum and I might actually be holding my kids back by not teaching them what are now considered "basic" computer skills. And it turns out that holding your child back from doing anything productive is a terrifying thought for a parent. I finally realized it was time for me to stop dragging my feet and hop on board. In other words, it was time to cave.

I had no idea where to start, so we just started exploring our options. The games on PBS and Sprout were cute, ABCmouse.com was nice, but the membership fees are astronomical, and Layla's personal favorite, The Build-A-Bear Workshop game was cute too, but I failed to see any real educational value in it. In fact, the more we explored the vast world of online gaming for kids the more I noticed a running theme: Cute and fun. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with cute and fun; cute and fun is a good thing and has its time and place. But if you're anything like me and looking for something that will not only entertain your kids for a minute but actually educate them a bit in the process, you'll probably want more than just cute or just fun. Additionally, many of the sites that claimed to be "educational" didn't really strike me as such and as an educational late-bloomer myself, I've discovered an increasing level of paranoia about what goes into the minds of my kids. Simply put, cute and fun just aren't going to cut it.

I was beginning to feel really desperate when I got the chance to work with an up-and-coming educational children's website called Tropic Mind. Tropic Mind features games and short educational videos about everything from biology to physics to math to cute and fun things, like decorating and using the coins you earn by excelling at games in the fashion shop. The site itself consists of several islands which the player travels to by boat, including an island of their own to do whatever they want with. Each island hosts specific games and videos related to the subject (an Island for the Food Pyramid or The 5 Senses, for example). Layla's personal favorite island is Pet Island, which allows the player to custom create and subsequently care for an animal of their choice. The basic functions of the site are delightfully simple (especially for  younger kids just learning the basic computer skills or inept parents like me who feel like they don't know a computer from a toaster some days). The site is colorful and cheerful while at the same time practical and functional, with gentle but firm reminders to use your nickname, not reveal your password, and to generally interact with caution. Every post or interaction with any other member is closely monitored by the site, which I appreciate as a paranoid parent (although I'd be remiss if I didn't  point out here that it's always a good idea to monitor your child's computer use yourself anyway, but I digress. A little extra security never hurt anyone).



The best way to describe Tropic Mind  is like an educational Sims for kids. It teaches great subjects like math and science that kids, unfortunately, lose a lot of interest in by a certain age, by making them bright, interactive, and fun. What's even better is that games that may seem like they are just for fun (like creating and adopting a cute little pet or using your coins in the Fashion Shop) teach subtle lessons of responsibility and money management without kids even realizing they're learning a lesson. As a whole, I have very few complaints about the site, a majority of my issues came from just signing up (I have no idea why it took the parrot asking me for my information three tries before he accepted my email address as valid, but oh well, all's well that ends well, right?) Some of the games were a little advanced for Layla, but I knew this going into it (the target age range for the site is six to eleven years old) so it wasn't exactly an issue that I didn't see coming. While the site isn't necessarily structured enough to use as, say, a curriculum tool for homeschooling purposes, it is still a great tool for casual learning, basic computer skills, and cute and fun activities with a solid educational slant. All-in-all, I can honestly say that it blows all of it's "educational website" competitors out of the water (pun completely and whole-heartedly intended!)

By now the more cynical among you might be thinking that my recent opportunities are fueling my praise for the site (and as a hard-sell myself I can appreciate your reluctance), but I can assure you that you're wrong. Actually, I can do better than assure you, I can prove it.

I have the opportunity to give away a free (and I know you all like free!) one-year membership to Tropic Mind to anyone who is interested or doubts that this site is half as awesome as I'm claiming it to be. There's only one catch-- Since I know so many wonderful moms/dads/aunts/uncles with kids who I know would love this site, I'm going to make you work for it. All you have to do is take a minute (either in the comments section on this blog or at Deliberations Of A Domestic Diva) and tell me all about your worst computer gaming experience. Annoying characters? Grating theme songs? Flat-out pointless? I want to know! It's not necessary to actually name names as far as the actual websites go, but please include your email address so I can send you the code for your membership. I can give you the Domestic Diva guarantee that both you and your kid(s) will love Tropic Mind. 

I look forward to reading the responses of my clever readers! Game on!

1 comment:

  1. I understand your dilemma...somewhat. My girly is only 19 months old, so there is only so much I can suggest for her that is educational. I do admit, I let her watch tv, but I stick to educational programs. Chris said he put on Powerpuff Girls for her, and my reply was "Ew." Colors, shapes, animals, numbers, letters. This is what I want her to learn and only a few shows pass this requirement. Though lately her favorite thing is sorting colored cotton balls into different sized cups. Messy, but I love it. I look forward to more educational applications of real-life skills :)

    ReplyDelete