Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Plan B

Here's the thing: I really want to be a writer. When it all boils down to it, I don't care if it's writing for SNL or writing a book that no one ever reads and eventually uses exclusively as a door stop, I just want to write. I hope someone somewhere has a pleasant experience reading what I write, but even if they don't, I'll be doing this way past the point of the world begging me to stop.

That being said, the road to success is paved with speed bumps, dead ends, and being pulled over for speeding around every corner. In my short life as a blogger I've discovered that I either have too much experience for a project or, more likely, too little experience for a bigger, better project and it's usually the latter that I really want to do (which is why I'm currently seething in jealousy as James Franco gets to write blogs for the Huffington Post. Come on, dude! You already have a job!). Coupled with my paper-thin self-esteem and tendency to feel sorry for myself at the drop of a hat, I've come to realize that all this "paying my dues" business really, really sucks. The rejection alone is enough to drive a sane person insane and reduce a person who already dabbles in insanity into a shaking, obsessive-compulsive mess. I am determined to overcome the rejection (I mean hey, if I can overcome being rejected by 90% of the guys in my high school, I can certainly overcome this) but in the meantime, I'm a firm believer in remaining proactive. And to me, proactive means a back-up plan.

But now this issue is, what to do with an English degree if you're not writing? The logical choice would be to fall back on the good old theory that those who cannot do teach. But what about those of us who aren't logical, but instead remain illogical, delusional, or just plain crazy? What are our options? I've spent a lot of time pondering this and like most reasonable solutions to career problems, mine came to me in a dream.

As much as I love to write, I love to read and I've always believed that those loves go hand-in-hand. Reading has made me a better writer and I've been inspired by Augusten Burroughs, Wally Lamb, Jennifer Weiner and everyone in between. There's nothing I love more than curling up in a comfortable chair with a good book and a glass of wine, which has to be why my subconscious gently nudged me to a solution so simple, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. 

I had a dream that I opened up a combination library and bar. If it sounds like a really sexy idea to you, please feel free to take a second to pump the brakes. The image in my mind is more "sitting in worn leather chairs discussing the merits of Joyce Carol Oates over tumblers of whiskey" and less "frat boys doing shots of vodka out of some drunk girl's belly button". The servers would be actual librarians who could tell you which wine would pair well with the book you're reading. And because I don't want it to come across as too pretentious and there's nothing I love more in the world that a good pun, my library bar would have an awesome pun-tastic name. In my dream I couldn't decide between "Tequila Mockingbird" and "Girls Gone Oscar Wilde", but I think either way I have a winner. It will be both sophisticated and fun, a place where book nerds like me can unite with fellow book nerds and have a good time. It will be like one giant, fun book club meeting. It will be legandary.

Okay, so maybe it's not the most practical plan b but at this particular moment in my life, funding and operating something that doesn't even exist anywhere sounds a hell of a lot easier than becoming a published writer, and more fun too.

By the way, subscribers to this blog will drink free. And James Franco is not invited.

6 comments:

  1. Can I have tequila with my J.C. Oates? Did I mention to you lately that I think you are a GENIUS?! Pshhht- in your faces, 90% of Abbey's past high school crushes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tequila Mockingbird! hahahahahahah! so classic, in so many ways! can I work there? prob need to make some extra cash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for "Tequila Mockingbird" all the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little shocked that, with so many teacher friends, yOu would call that a "good old theory." Those who cannot cut it in their chosen careers cannot cut it in teaching either. There are long hours, mean parents, students who refuse to learn- all for very little pay. Only the strong survive and that does nOt include those who view the profession as a back up. Now I don't think that's what you were trying to say, but to suggest that choosing teaching as a backup is "the logical choice" doesn't make any sense to me. I think choosing teaching is highly illogical! Until one student comes to you and tells you they appreciate what you did- then it's all worth it. But unless you have the drive and commitment, that will never happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you're right; That's not what I was trying to say. What I was trying to say is that there are so few career options with an English degree that people automatically assume I will be teaching. You might not think that teaching is logical, but a full-time, consistantly paying (albeit shitty paying) job is a lot more logical than spotty freelance writing/book publishing to many people, particularly those who think I'm nuts for wanting to make an attempt at such an unstable career. Also, I am fully aware that a crap load of work goes into teaching and I have an infinite amount of respect for teachers (especially since my kids have started school and I have volunteered in their classes). "Those who cannot do, teach" is a figure of speech and is by no means a way of suggesting that my teacher friends are only teaching because they couldn't hack it in another career. I'm also not finding the part where I said that "those who cannot cut it in their chosen careers cannot cut it in teaching either"...? Maybe because I didn't...?

      Overall, I was making a joke (clearly a poor one) and having a self-deprecating "I'm never going to be able to do what I want so let's just have a jokey blog about opening up a library bar" moment. My one sentence about "those who cannot do, teach" was not meant to cause offense, and I'm sorry if it did.

      Delete
    2. I was just shocked that you would repeat the figure of speech in a way to suggest that maybe thats what you should do...if you wanted to make the "logical choice." And I know you never said "those who cannot cut it in their chosen careers cannot cut it in teaching either" because that is what I said (and meant). A lot of what I said wasn't directed to you, but to that statement in general. I don't even know where that phrase came from, but I invite anyone who says it (and means it) into my classroom for an hour. I'll sit back and let the 12 year olds make them squirm, and then they can tell me again how they think they're so much better than me.

      In the end, you're only going to be successful at what you're passionate about, be it writing or opening a drinking and reading themed bar (you know I'll be your #1 customer!), or hopefully both! I hope you never have to choose a "back up."

      Delete