Sunday, March 20, 2011

If this was your job, you'd quit!

Being a stay-at-home mom is the world's hardest job.

And believe me, I would know. I've held about a million jobs. Have you ever read "War and Peace"? That 2,000 some odd page book looks like a children's book compared to my resume. But I digress.

I am the following: A cook, a maid, an entertainer, a scheduler, a nurse, an artist, a teacher, a driver, a coach, a referee, a nutritionist, a stylist, a handyman, and a cheerleader. Oh, and did I mention that I do all of these jobs for free? And that I work 365 days a week, 24 hours a day? With no sick leave? And no vacation?

So much goes into being a stay-at-home mom. There's the obvious taking care of the children part, which in itself is a hell of a job. I'd love to be able to pop my kids in front of a TV all day, but I just can't do it with a clean conscience. I want to teach them and take them outside. I want them to be aware of the world around them and aware of themselves as the people who live in that world. My kids are fantastic (in my humble, completely biased opinion) and frankly, I want them to stay that way. I see a lot of really terrible kids from week to week, which makes me sad. It's not the kid's fault that they're awful (usually), it's the parents. I'm a firm believer that kids shouldn't have to ask for your time, love, and consideration, it should just be a given.

For example, the other day, the kids and I were at the park and there was a woman with her son who was probably three or so. She was sitting on a bench talking on her phone, while her kid sat about two feet in front of her, eating sand and staring right at her. She carried on with her conversation (during which, by the way, she dropped so many F-bombs I felt like I had to get my kids away from her ASAP before that became a word that came out of their mouths). My point? Three year olds are old enough to know that you don't eat sand. That poor kid just wanted a little attention.

I'm not about to sit here and claim to be the world's greatest mom. I have many things about my personality that go against ever earning this title. I am the world's most impatient person (now that's a title I've earned!). My kids literally use up all of my very limited patience during the day, which translates into me having zero left for everyone else in the world sometimes. But guess what? My kids don't eat sand. I blog when they nap. I do homework when they're in bed at night. In other word, whatever my shortcomings, I try. Really, really hard.

Staying at home can be tedious. Sometimes it feels like the movie "Groundhog Day". I feel like I do the same things over and over. But I'm smart enough to realize a couple of things. Number one, I'm lucky to have the opportunity to stay home with my kids while they are young. Number two, they won't always be young. Someday they'll grow up and turn into teenagers who want absolutely nothing to do with me and all I'll have left will be memories of "the good old days" when they were toddlers and I felt like my presence made a difference in their lives (as hard as it is now to imagine referring to my constant work and sleepless nights as the good old days!). Lastly, I know that parents can be the greatest influence in their children's lives and right now, I'm putting lessons into their heads that will (hopefully) be there forever.

So yes, even when I'm left with two cranky kids, staring at the front door after Josh leaves for work with envy, I really wouldn't trade my life, no matter how challenging it is.

So fellow stay-at-home moms out there, you are amazing. We are amazing. If anyone else had our job, they'd quit!

2 comments:

  1. *cheers* well put Abbey.

    Oh...and I always wanted to hang out with my mom, even when I was a teenager...and I was homeschooled ;) There is no rule stating your kids will hate you later. Be optimistic!

    PS- I plan to homeschool too...making my job that much harder, haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you have all the stay at home moms saying, right on! You are blessed that you can stay home with them both. Cherish your time together & keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete