Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Day 10: What The F@%k Is A Bubble Guppy?!

For a long time, we didn't have cable. And we really didn't want it because we truly believed that the basics were enough for us. We figured that cable TV was probably just full of more of the reality shows that we were so fond of making fun of and that, frankly, we didn't need that garbage in our lives. We had the news. We had  PBS. And most importantly, we had principals.

Ah, principals. You'd be amazed how fast they go away when you find yourself addicted to Mad Men and Breaking Bad but realize that your only option on a Sunday night is a dusty rerun of Antiques Roadshow. And then, if that wasn't reason enough, we found out that for the amount of money we paid to not have cable was actually more than it would cost to add an extra  300 channels to our lives. So principals be damned, we caved. Consumerism:1, Team Prentice: 0.

Anyway, due to an increase in options, my kids have ditched their usual morning tradition of Sesame Street in favor of something new. And different. And let's face it, downright creepy.

I don't know how many of you out there are parents and/or children's cartoon connoisseurs but I need help understanding exactly what it is that I'm looking at here.....


It is a show called Bubble Guppies. From what I can gather, it's about a gang of mutant mermaid pop stars who are led by a giant shape-shifting Goldfish and accompanied by a mermaid dog. If it sounds like a really cool, interesting show, then I must not have described it right. Did I mention that there is singing? So. Much. Singing. My kids love it but personally, if I'm ever captured and tortured for any reason, playing this show over and over would be a much more effective way of getting me to talk than waterboarding. It's awful. 

My first inclination after seeing this show for the first time was to immediately picture writers sitting around a table in a hot, windowless room dropping acid because honestly, who thinks of this stuff? What's funny is that I actually think a lot of thought goes into this show (what it lacks in plot or awesome it makes up with in educational value. Allegedly). There are probably teams of people researching the best way to incorporate educational value into a fun, colorful cartoon that kids will love and their parents will despise. Most likely with no drugs in sight.

But what can I say? It's relatively educational and basically the only thing the kids want to watch on TV and most of all, we did kind of bring this on ourselves. It's amazing the things you'll put up with just to have a little Don Draper in your life.

2 comments:

  1. Lol Abbey this made my day. I nannied for a few years and so I actually have a fairly extensive knowledge of shitty kids' cartoons, but I've never heard of this one. I will tell you, though, if I ever see another episode of Dora the Explorer it will be too soon.

    I recently re-watched an episode of Fraggle Rock, one of my favorite childhood shows, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_zsz_MlVvI in case you need a refresher) and all I could think about was "WHAT ARE WE TEACHING OUR CHILDREN TODAY??!!" I'm not saying the "fraggles" aren't totally bizarre and likely acid-induced, but the PLOTS to kids shows back then were SO MUCH MORE INTRICATE and there was SO much more substance in them! The episode I watched had lessons about friendship and responsibility and taking care of your things all wrapped up in a 30 minute story that MADE SENSE from beginning to end and required sustained attention and continued comprehension. With Dora, you can fall asleep or just pick your nose for half the show and when you tune back in you won't have missed a thing. And yes, you may learn the spanish word for backpack... but AT WHAT COST? Why do we think we need to bombard kids with neon colors and flashing lights and incessant repetition to get them to learn anything? What's wrong with character development and good old fashioned STORY LINES?

    It makes me wonder what kind of genius stuff OUR parents were watching (or READING?) that we missed in our childhoods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Fraggle Rock! It used to be one of my favorite shows! Maybe that's really my problem with kid's cartoons these days (other than the grotesque over-use of cheeseball songs and the general existence of Dora The Explorer)! It's all flash, and colors, and glitter with no substance! Great point, Willow! Thanks for reading!

      Delete